The 26th meeting of the AISC was held on 5 June 2019.
The AISC considered the second tranche of the 2019 Industry Skills Forecasts and Proposed Schedules of Work submitted by IRCs. Further details on work commissioned is outlined below.
Following the election in May 2019, the Prime Minister, the Hon Scott Morrison MP announced his new Ministry. The Hon Michaelia Cash MP is the Minister for Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business and the Hon Steve Irons MP is the Assistant Minister for Vocational Education, Training and Apprenticeships.
The new Ministry means the movement of the skills and training functions and staff, including the AISC Secretariat, from the Department of Education and Training to the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business.
Update on the 2019-20 Budget measures
Ms Mary McDonald, First Assistant Secretary of the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business, provided an update on the 2019-20 Budget measures for the interim National Skills Commission and the pilot for Skills Organisations and confirmed there are no immediate changes to the responsibilities of the AISC. Ms McDonald reported the importance of ensuring continuity of work within the current training package system, and that future system reform builds on the existing arrangements. Ms McDonald confirmed that the valuable contributions IRCs make to the training system would continue while the new arrangements are being developed.
Industry Reference Committee (IRC) Survey Project
Ithaca Group presented a summary of the final report of the IRC Survey Project – Perspectives on the effectiveness of industry‑led training product development. Ithaca Group provided the AISC with possible options for future improvement of the industry‑led arrangements. The AISC agreed to form a working group to consider findings and possible actions and will share findings with IRC members in the near future.
Industry Skills Forecasts and Proposed Schedules of Work
The AISC reviewed 36 Industry Skills Forecasts at this meeting and approved a number of project proposals to proceed to training package development.
In reconfirming its commitment to providing industry with the skills it needs, the AISC requested a small number of project proposals be re-submitted with further evidence of industry demand and support for the proposed changes and additional information on occupational alignment of the proposed projects.
Disability Support IRC
The AISC approved the proposed membership of the Disability Support IRC.
Training Package Development
Cases for Endorsement
The AISC approved the following Case for Endorsement for implementation:
- BSB Business Services Training Package (Release 5.0)
- MEA Aeroskills Training Package (Addendum)
- MEM Manufacturing and Engineering Training Package (Coding Addendum)
- MSM Manufacturing Training Package (Release 5.0)
- MSS Sustainability Training Package (Release 3.0)
- MST Textiles, Clothing and Footwear Training Package (Release 2.0)
- POL Police Training Package (Release 3.0)
- PUA Public Safety Training Package (Release 1.0)
- SFI Seafood Industry Training Package (Release 1.0)
Cases for Change
The AISC approved the following Cases for Change to proceed to training package development:
- MSM Manufacturing Training Package (Recreational vehicle manufacturing)
- MSS Sustainability Training Package (Energy Management)
Industry Skills Forecast and Proposed Schedule of Work (Skills Forecast)
The AISC approved the following Skills Forecasts that did not propose projects for 2019‑20:
- MEA Aeroskills Training Package
- MEM Manufacturing and Engineering Training Package
- MSL Laboratory Operations Training Package
- MSM Manufacturing Training Package
- PMB Plastics, Rubber and Cable making Training Package
- PMA Chemical, Hydrocarbons and Refining Training Package
- MSS Sustainability Training Package
- MST Textiles, Clothing and Footwear Training Package
- BSB Business Services Training Package
- ICP Printing and Graphic Arts Training Package
- TAE Training and Education Training Package
The AISC commissioned the following projects from 2019 Skills Forecasts to proceed to training package development:
- AVI Aviation (3D Computed Tomography)
- CSC Correctional Services (Dog handler skill sets)
- CSC Correctional Services (Offender Engagement)
- MAR Maritime (Maritime Operations - General Purpose Hand Near Coastal)
- MAR Maritime (Dynamic positioning)
- MAR Maritime (Compass adjuster)
- MAR Maritime (Maritime Towage)
- NWP National Water (Water Industry Operations)
- NWP National Water (Water Industry Treatment)
- PUA Public Safety (Defence Sensor Operations)
- PUA Public Safety (Defence Simulator Maintenance)
- PUA Public Safety (Defence Work Health and Safety)
- PUA Public Safety (Defence Range Control)
- PUA Public Safety (Defence Chaplaincy)
- PUA Public Safety (Defence Evaluations)
- PUA Public Safety (State Emergency Services)
- TLI Transport and Logistics – Rail (Train and Network Control Operations)
- TLI Transport and Logistics – Rail (Network Fault Support)
- TLI Transport and Logistics (Logistics and Warehousing)
- TLI Transport and Logistics (Fuel Storage Dangerous Goods Contractors)
- UEG Gas (Pipeline Emergency Repairs)
- UEG Gas (Gas processing)
- UEG Gas (Gas leak survey)
- UEG Gas (Gas Control systems)
- UEP Electricity Supply Industry Generation Sector (Operations personnel)
- UEP Electricity Supply Industry Generation Sector (Wind power generation)
- UEP Electricity Supply Industry Generation Sector (Remote Area Essential Service)
- UET Electricity Supply Industry Transmission Distribution and Rail (ESI Transmission Distribution and Rail)
- UET Electricity Supply Industry Transmission Distribution and Rail (Renewable Technologies)
- AUR Automotive Retail, Service and Repair (Outdoor Power)
- CUA Culture and Related Industries (Visual Arts, Craft and Design)
- FNS Financial Services (Mortgage building)
- FNS Financial Services (Core financial multi-disciplinary skills)
- ICT Information and Communications Technology (Getting a more specialised job in telecommunications)
- RII Resources and Infrastructure (Metalliferous Mining and Resource Processing)
- RII Resources and Infrastructure (Extractive)
- ACM Animal Care and Management (Review of Animal studies, companion animals, and pet grooming qualifications)
- AMP Meat (Review of the Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Meat Processing)
- AMP Meat (Development of new units and skills sets for Halal meat processing)
- AMP Meat (Development of new unit and skill set for game harvesting auditing)
- AMP Meat (Addressing gaps in poultry processing training)
- FWP Forest and Wood Products (Review of Certificates II and III in Timber Merchandising)
- SFI Seafood Industry (Skills for Future Fishtech & Aquabotics in real-time, distant operations)
- PSP Public Sector (Trade Measurement)
- SIT Tourism, Travel and Hospitality (Accommodation)
In an out-of-session process, the AISC agreed to proceed with the implementation of the MEM Manufacturing and Engineering Training Package Release 2.0 Case for Endorsement, with the exception of the proposal to delete Certificate II in Engineering.
Next meeting - The next meeting of the AISC will be held on 13 August 2019.