The 25th meeting of the AISC was held on 26 March 2019.
The AISC meeting considered the first tranche of the 2019 Industry Skills Forecasts and Proposed Schedules of Work submitted by IRCs. In making decisions to commission work, the AISC requested comprehensive national consultation on training package development work, including ensuring regional and remote areas of Australia are actively approached throughout all phases of training package development.
The AISC has also reiterated Industry Reference Committees (IRCs) provide specific advice on the job outcomes of proposed qualifications, including clear distinction between intended job outcomes to be met by different Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) levels, as well as a rationalisation of qualifications wherever possible.
Further details on work commissioned is outlined below.
Transition of training packages
The AISC received a briefing from the Chair of the Local Government Industry Reference Committee (IRC) on its progress in transitioning the LGA04 Local Government training package to the 2012 Standards for Training Packages. The AISC also received an update from the Sport and Recreation IRC Chair regarding the transition of the SIS10 Sport, Fitness and Recreation training package.
Industry Skills Forecasts and Proposed Schedules of Work
The AISC approved a number of project proposals to proceed to training package development.
In reconfirming its commitment to providing industry with the skills it needs, the AISC has requested a small number of project proposals be re-submitted with further evidence of industry demand and support for the proposed changes.
At their 3 October 2018 meeting, the COAG Industry and Skills Council requested that the Senior Skills Official Network (SSON) and AISC work together to provide advice on approaches to improve the training product development process to enable the training system to more quickly respond to the changes in skills needs across occupations. The AISC has approved the Terms of Reference for the AISC/SSON Working Group Streamlining project, which will commence in April 2019.
Training Package Development
Cases for Endorsement
The AISC approved the following Case for Endorsement for implementation:
- ICT Information and Communications Technology (telecommunications) – Release 5.0
Cases for Change
The AISC approved the following Cases for Change to proceed to training package development:
- AHC Agriculture Horticulture and Conservation and Land Management Training Package (Diploma of Agronomy)
- SIT Tourism, Travel and Hospitality Training Package (Events Qualifications)
- FBP Food, Beverage and Pharmaceutical Training Package (Food Processing Qualifications)
- MSL Laboratory Operations Training Package (Point in Care Testing)
- MST Textiles, Clothing and Footwear Training Package (Industrial Sewing)
- MEA Aeroskills Training Package (Alignment with CASA regulations)
Industry Skills Forecast and Proposed Schedule of Work (Skills Forecast)
The AISC commissioned the following projects from 2019 Skills Forecasts to proceed to training package development, noting the AISC’s comments above regarding the need for comprehensive consultation and the provision of information regarding job roles, job outcomes and mapping to the AQF and, where appropriate, rationalisation on qualifications:
- CPC Construction, Plumbing and Services (Shopfitting)
- CPC Construction, Plumbing and Services (Building and surveying)
- CPC Construction, Plumbing and Services (Concreting)
- CPC Construction, Plumbing and Services (Building Information Modelling micro-credentials)
- CPP Property Services (Surveying and Spatial)
- HLT Training Package (Massage therapy)
- HLT Training Package (Enrolled Nursing)
- HLT Training Package (Anesthetic Technology)
- PSP Public Sector (Governance)
- SIT Tourism, Travel and Hospitality (Tourism)
- SIT Tourism, Travel and Hospitality (Travel)
- SIT Tourism, Travel and Hospitality (Hospitality)
Next meeting - The next meeting of the AISC will be held on 5 June 2019.